10.30.2004

Double Feature

For a while, the strangest double feature I've ever seen was "Jackass: The Movie" followed by "The Ring." Last night, I think I topped that with "Saw" followed my "Team America: World Police."

I knew next to nothing about Saw going in, except that it had mixed reviews which depended on whether or not the reviewer was a particular fan of horror or not. Since I am a fan of horror, I was optimistic. This hope was enforced by the first half of the movie, which was adequately creepy and tense. However, towards the end, some major, unforgiveable plot holes came to form, and the acting was bad throughout. I'll just say it was done with a lot more intelligence and tact the first time, when it was called "Seven."

In spite of being a South Park fan, particularly the topical, satirical direction the show has gone in the past two seasons, I was still nervous about Team America. I didn't care for "South Park: Bigger, Longer, and Uncut" since it was pure shock value and lacked the intelligence of the show, although the music deserved every laurel it received. I expected a similar reaction to Team America, since the trailer and commercials made it seem as though it was going to fall back on stereotypes and perceptions broader than what's used in the show, in order to appeal to a movie audience.

However, the movie greatly exceeded expectations. Contrary to the perception given by its ads, the film is hilarious and a creative and effective critique of both doves and hawks, in true South Park fashion. Simultaneously, the film lambasts Bruckheimer-esque action flicks in a way that was strong enough to be noticed (unlike Parker and Stone's failed sitcom-parody: "That's my Bush!), but not too overpowering. The music is again fantastic, and the grand analogy used to reach a compromise at the conclusion is so great that it tempts me to write a spoiler, but I'll just say this: rent "Saw" if you're curious, see "Team America" even if you're not.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home