12.03.2004

So the truth comes out...

A letter to the editor yesterday lumped me in with what he perceives to be an over-represented conservative cohort in the WSN. Don't worry, I'm not taking this too seriously, but this is not the first time my writing has blurred perceptions of my politics among those who don't know me better, so I'm curious as to why readers might think this way. A few theories:

1.) Selective reading. There are columns like
this one , this one. and this one where my siding with the Democrats couldn't be more clear. On the other hand there are columns like this one, this one, and this one that either give Republicans credit or advance positions on issues that could be said to be conservative. Perhaps if one by chance tends to read the latter pieces only, confusion can be understandable.

2.) My own topic selection. When I choose what I want to write about, it tends to be on matters where I break with liberal orthodoxy. I avoid issues that would just have me repeating DNC talking points, since that would be uninteresting both for me and the reader.

3.) George Will-itis. I think it is valuable for columnists to critique their own side as much as it is to build its case. So therefore, while I did my damndest to practice restraint on criticizing Kerry and the Dems, I have written columns like
this one and this one, intended to be constructive criticism but I suppose could be mistaken for a conservative attack on the campaign.

4.) NYU. In a place as liberal as NYU, labels take on a whole new subjectivity, wherein anyone to the right of
Jason Rowe , or at least anyone who doesn't use "Republican" like a dirty word, can be called conservative. (By the way, Jason's latest column is terrific.)

So those are my theories. Opinions as to which one it is, or alternate explanations, are welcome. In the meantime, Omar Tungekar has reprised
his invitation for me to join the College Republicans, and once again I am flattered by the offer but will decline.

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sure you're not taking this too seriously, Shaun? -Alex

11:31 AM  
Blogger Shaun said...

Sure I'm sure. And hey, compared to the trauma you put yourself through when you realized you were a moderate, this is nothing.

12:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

well next week i'll be getting the traitor mail

1:59 AM  
Blogger Roger said...

Wow, Shaun, apparently you're two for two in being emblematic of "reactionary" voices. Do you have something you wish to share with the class?

9:23 AM  
Blogger Shaun said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

12:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So you're a closet conservative? This explains so much.

1:18 PM  
Blogger Michael said...

and I thought I was a conservative posing as a liberal Democrat! Shaun's readers are onto him!

9:53 PM  
Blogger Shaun said...

haha...Mikey, if you've been trying to pose as a liberal Democrat, you've been doing one hell of a shitty job.

10:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ohhh, snap. --Gary

6:00 AM  
Anonymous sexy mommy stories said...

Angela Barrett comes from a long line of tough broads. If we were able to hurt your daughter.
first sex stories incest
animal sex literotica stories
sexy rape stories
cfnm masturbation stories
senior adult sex stories
Angela Barrett comes from a long line of tough broads. If we were able to hurt your daughter.

6:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home