11.13.2004

Horse Latitudes

I'm realizing now that I haven't posted in a few days, which is both good and bad. On the good side, this means that I'm actually working on my thesis...for real. On the bad side, it's made me realize how thoroughly we're trapped in a speculative news cycle. I hate it when these sort of items fill the media: storylines that everyone tries to predict, but can't possibly have any real idea. All that can be done is to game out the possibilities and take shots in the dark as to what's going to happen, which I don't particularly care to partake in.

First, a post-Arafat Palestine. The succession process is shady enough to have been run by me, so there's really no telling who is going to step up and how they're going to act. Is this a step towards peace or just more of the same? I don't know, let's wait and see.

Second, Alberto Gonzales replaces John Aschcroft. There are competing views over his predilictions in that he has both moderate and conservative tendencies. Which will come through in his tenure as Attorney General? I don't know, let's wait and see.

Third, Scott Peterson is found guilty. Do I agree with the verdict? No clue. I haven't followed this thing at all, and anyone who hasn't watched every second of the trial has no right to weigh in.

So that's what's out there right now. This news cycle, together with a freezing, rainy weekend, couldn't serve better as thesis-writing encouragement.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home